Development Control is responsible for dealing with planning applications, advertisement consents, listed building consents, planning appeals, offering advice and guidance on development proposals (before, during and after application), enforcement of planning legislation and unauthorised development, and the control of works to protected trees and hedgerows.
If you are planning on developing within the Borough, or making alterations to your property, please use the information below for help and guidance including finding out if you need planning permission, and learning how to apply, current applications and previous decisions, relevant policy and guidance, and other information.
Applying for planning permission
For household development, like conservatories, extensions, outbuildings, and so on, a good place to start may be the Do I need planning permission? section.
The Council have prepared a guide to applying which can be found to the right of this page, under downloads.
You can apply online for planning permission through the Planning Portal, alternatively you can apply on paper and submit the plans directly to the Council. Full details of the current planning application fees can also be found here.
The planning application system follows this process:
- when a planning application is received by the Council the first thing we do is to check all the details submitted are correct and the application is valid
- if it is, we would then write to neighbours and other interested parties and they are generally given 21 days in which to comment
- the next step is a visit to the site by a Planning Officer to assess the application and its impact on the surrounding area
- then if there are any issues which we feel can be overcome we will aim to negotiate with you or your agent
- finally a recommendation is made of either approval, approval subject to conditions, or if approval is not possible; a refusal is made
Pages in Planning Information
- You are here: Planning overview
- Do I need planning permission?
- Prior approval for householder extensions from 30 May 2013
- Extensions or outbuildings at your house
- Extending, altering or adding solar panels to your roof
- Inserting a window to your house
- Chimneys and flues, maintenance of your house
- Works to a listed building or in a conservation area
- Works to trees covered by a Tree Preservation Order
- Advertisement consent
- Listed building consent
- Conservation areas
- Planning decision notices
- Planning enforcement
- Planning appeals
Tel: 024 7637 6328