Apply for advertisement consent

Under the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 2007, many outdoor advertisements require express consent from us before they can be lawfully displayed.

How to apply for consent

Apply for advertisement consent through the national Planning Portal.  Your submission will be sent to us.

Fees for advertisement application

The appropriate fee for the following categories of advertisement:

  • advertisement displayed on business premises 
  • advance signs, directing people to business premises in the locality 
  • all other types of advertisement 

View the latest fees for these types of applications.

Period of consent

Normally the maximum period for which the council will grant consent is five years, but we have discretion to grant consent for a longer period. If consent is required for a specific period of more or less than five years, this should be stated in your application.

Owner's consent

It is a condition of every consent granted by or under the regulations that, before displaying the advertisement for which consent is given, the permission of the owner of the land or other person entitled to grant permission shall be obtained.

Other consents

A grant of consent under the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 2007 does not rank as consent which may be required for any other purpose eg listed building consent where the advertisement is to be displayed on any listed building.