You are here:

Housing benefits

Where to go for help and support

If you are struggling with benefits, budgeting, bills and debt then you can get help and support from one of our partners. Here is a list of local and national organisations that will be able to give you the information, advice and support that you need.

Local organisations

These local organisations provide information, advice and guidance and include:

  • Citizen Advice: Help to Claim Service – Help to make an application for Universal Credit and to help and advise you up to your first payment. Tel: 0800 144 8 444
  • Council Tax Support - If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to receive council tax support of up to 100% of your net council tax bill. You will be required to complete an application form and provide relevant information concerning your income and household, so that your entitlement can be assessed

Apply for council tax support

  • Discretionary Housing and Hardship Payments - Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) and Hardship Payments are paid at the council's discretion where it considers extra help with housing costs is needed. These payments are made from a limited budget allocated by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). To apply for a DHP you will need to be in receipt of either Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit. To apply for a Hardship Payment (help towards council tax only) you will need to be in receipt of Council Tax Support. Guidance on applying for a Discretionary Housing payment
  • Money management – request a financial inclusion support officer - If you have any concerns about managing your money or budgeting, contact one of the team today. The officer will walk you through every step and if you need additional help and support then you will be referred to the right specialist support organisations that can help you. Email the team or telephone: 024 7637 6700
  • Warwickshire Local Welfare Scheme For emergency food referrals and supported food referrals Tel: 0800 408 1448 (freephone from landlines) or 01926 359 182
  • ACAS – Acas gives employees and employers free impartial advice on workplace rights, rules and best practice
  • Free School Meals – Every free school meal awarded helps your child’s school get more funding. Your child does not even have to have the meal. The funding is really important to the school as it can provide more activities for the children - and the funding continues for the school for six years
  • Benefits Calculators – Is a free and independent benefits calculator to find out what benefits you could get, how to claim or to work out how your benefits will be affected if you start work
  • Nuneaton and Bedworth Citizens Advice - Benefits, consumer advice, debt, budgeting, energy saving, better deals, pensions, financial capability, life events and money matters toolkit Tel: 024 7649 4393 email:
  • Act on Energy - Energy bill or switching advice and financial assistance to repair or replace heating systems (home owners only) Tel: 0800 988 2881, email:
  • Severn Trent Water - Water Rates debt, Water Sure, metering scheme, water saving information, The Big Difference Tel: 0800 917 6901 or call 03456 022 777 for help paying your bill
  • Veterans Contact Point Information, advice and guidance for serving or ex-service personnel. Tel: 024 7634 3793 email:
  • Rethink - Employment support service specifically to support with mental health issues. Tel: 0300 5000 927 email:
  • Coventry and Warwickshire Mind - Low level early support for over 16 year olds aiming to enhance mental health and wellbeing.Follow them on Facebook or Twitter. For information and advice about where to get help, call the Mind Infoline on 0300 123 3393, text 86463
  • Dear Life  For people in Coventry and Warwickshire who are desperately seeking support, or anyone who is worried about a loved one or someone they know, as well as raising awareness around suicide, the website provides information and advice as well as the contact details for both local and national suicide prevention support.
  • P3 - Floating support for over 25s to support them to remain in their home (such as being in rent arrears), street outreach work and accommodation to support rough sleepers with access to a mental health practitioner, drop in facilities in Nuneaton Tel: 0808 164 6220 or email: (due to Covid-19 services are by appointment only.)
  • Warwickshire CAVA – Access to volunteering opportunities, support for local groups, organisations, enterprises and charities with governance, funding and to help strengthen local communities. To find out more contact WCAVA Tel: 01827 718080 email:
  • Family Information Service Offers free help and advice on all aspects of family life to parents, carers, young people, and anyone working with families in Warwickshire. Tel: 01926 742274 email:

National organisations

These organisations provide help and support either online, face-to-face or phone service 24/7:

  • Learn My Way Learn how to use the internet. Learn My Way has free courses to help you get online, learn digital skills and stay safe and connected
  • The Money Helper - The easy way to get clear, free, impartial help for all your money and pension choices. The website is packed with advice and guides to help improve finances, tools and calculators to help customers keep track and plan ahead. Whatever your circumstances or plans, move forward with The Money Helper
  • National Debtline FREE, impartial and confidential expert debt advisers who are supportive and trained to a high standard. To talk customers through the debt advice options that are right for them. Tel: 0808 808 4000
  • Loan Sharks - Stop Loan Sharks offers advice on the tell-tale signs that someone is a loan shark. These include offering cash loans without any paperwork, charging extortionate interest, taking bank cards and passports as security and threatening behaviour or violence to get money.  Visit the website or call 0300 555 2222 to safely and confidentially report a Loan Shark
  • Stepchange Free expert, tailored advice and practical solutions to problem debt. Benefit calculators and help to manage money better. Tel: 0800 138 111
  • Shelter - Homeless and housing advice, advice about rent/ mortgage arrears, housing benefit and universal credit issues, renting problems and legal clarification. Tel: 0808 800 4444
  • Universal Jobmatch - Search and apply for full or part-time jobs in the local area and UK
  • NHS Choices - For advice, support and to find services near to you
  • Directory of Mental Health Support in Warwickshire A comprehensive directory has been compiled by Warwickshire CAVA of all Mental Health Support available to residents across Warwickshire
  • The Big White Wall - Having a tough time or feeling down or stressed? Big White Wall is a safe online community of people who support and help each other by sharing experiences, guided by trained professionals
  • Mental Health Matters - For mental health, emotional support, visit the website, or call 0800 616 171 which is available 24/7 or email:
  • Change, Grow, Live (CGL) – Free and confidential drug and alcohol service for adults, families, carers and affected others in Warwickshire. For drug or alcohol advice, support and treatment is available from CGL Warwickshire. Call 01926 353 513 or email:
  • GamCare – If gambling is a problem that is affecting you and others close to you, GamCare is a leading national provider of free information, advice and support for anyone affected by the problem gambling. Call the helpline on 0808 8020 133 which is available 24/7
  • EQuIP Equality and Inclusion Partnership - Support discrimination on age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage, civil partnerships, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation.  Discrimination casework and supporting diverse communities. During Covid-19 call 07377 431997
  • Age UK Provide information, advice and guidance on all money, benefit and debt matters and enables independence for older people and helps to combat loneliness. Call 0800 055 6112
  • The Pension Service - The Pension Service helps with State Pension eligibility, claims and payments. Call 0800 731 7898 for help to make a claim or advice
  • Carers UK For expert advice, information and support. Caring can be extremely complicated. The maze of rights and entitlements can be complicated. Filling in paperwork can be complicated. For expert telephone advice and support if people want to talk about caring. If you are looking for answers, the online information and support is the best place to start. Call 0808 808 7777

Last updated Tuesday, 29th August 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did