Apply for Universal Credit

Universal Credit has replaced a range of benefits for working age people. Whether you claim Universal Credit will depend on your personal circumstances. Anyone who makes a claim for one of the means tested benefits that Universal Credit is replacing will now be asked to claim Universal Credit.

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) are responsible for administering Universal Credit.

Apply for universal credit

New claims for Universal Credit took effect from 25 October 2017. Families with up to two children will no longer be able to make a new claim for Housing Benefit and Tax Credits.

Before you start, make sure you have the following information ready:

  • email address, landline and/or mobile phone number
  • National Insurance number (and your partner's)
  • postcode
  • landlord’s name and address
  • details of the bank, building society, post office or credit union account you want Universal Credit paid into (account number and sort code)

If you live in a council or housing association property, you will need to provide your eligible rent:

  • your  tenancy agreement
  • breakdown of your rent you pay


You will need to provide these details:

  • savings or other capital
  • income that's not from work (eg from an insurance plan)
  • other benefits you're getting
  • if working, your expected wages
  • children, relatives and friends who live with you - including their name, date of birth, age and income

Making an application online

Universal Credit applications must be made online. If you do not have access to a computer, we have four public access computers in the Town Hall, Nuneaton.

  • Computers are available from 10:00am until 3:00pm
  • There is no charge for using these computers

View Universal Credit overview video.