Apply for a discretionary housing payment

Discretionary Housing and Hardship Payments are not payments of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. 

They are separate payments made at the council's discretion in cases where it considers that extra help with housing or council tax costs is needed. These payments are made from a limited budget allocated by the Department for Work and Pensions. 

We are currently experiencing technical issues with retrieving saved forms. Do not start your new application until you have all the information ready to submit.

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payment

You can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment if you are currently receiving:

  • Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit which does not cover your full rent charge
  • Council Tax Support which does not cover the whole of your council tax bill

If you also receive Council Tax Support you can use this form to apply for a hardship payment at the same time if you need to.