Repairs and maintenance

If you buy a council flat, you will become a leaseholder and the Council remain the owner.

This means that you will be responsible for the interior of your home whilst your landlord (the Council), will be responsible for looking after the structure and exterior of the block. You will have to pay for day-to-day repair works through annual service charges.

Repair responsibilities

All internal items, that is, repairs in your flat or maisonette. These would include;

  • internal glazing for example glazed partitiona and fanlights above doors
  • ceiling linings, which are usually plasterboad, not joists, beams or concrete floors
  • all fixtures and fittings in your home unless they belong to the Council. An example of a Council fixture might be a door entry cable and phone
  • own central heating system, except District Heating
  • Gas Safe recommend a service of gas appliances every 12 months
  • meter box, if fitted
  • carpentry and electrical
  • all internal doors, timber skirtings, architraves and similar trim
  • all plaster and other linings or coverings to floors, walls and ceilings in your home
  • entrance door and frame to your home, day-to-day repairs, for example door furniture
  • plumbing
  • any water tank serving solely your home. Communal tanks are Council responsibility
  • all plumbing and electrical services in your home
  • internal soil stack
  • all internal decoration


All windows and frames should be fitted by the Council, but if you or a previous leaseholder has fitted new windows without obtaining housing management permission and the windows are in-situ, the situation will be recognised but not construed as permission given and therefore the Council will not take responsibility. You will then be responsible for the complete maintenance of these windows in perpetuity. Should any future problems be encountered with the external structure and this is later found to be as a result of this installation, then you will be liable for any costs incurred to rectify the situation.

  • We will consult with leaseholders before we enter into any long term agreements to provide services together with a price for carrying out works above the value of £250.