You are here:

Discretionary housing payments

Can I claim a Discretionary Housing and Hardship Payment?

Discretionary Housing and Hardship Payments are not payments of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.  They are separate payments made at the council's discretion in cases where it considers that extra help with housing or council tax costs is needed. These payments are made from a limited budget allocated by the Department for Work and Pensions. 

You can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment if you are currently receiving Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit which does not cover your full rent charge.

You can claim a Discretionary Hardship Payment if you are currently receiving Council Tax Support which does not cover the whole of your council tax bill.

For further information:

Last updated Wednesday, 3rd October 2018

Was this information useful?

You said, we did