Liability appeals

You can appeal if you think your council tax is wrong.

  • You should however continue to pay your original bill whilst your appeal is pending

How to make an appeal

Your appeal should be made in writing to the Council stating who you are, where you live and details of what decision you are appealing against, For example, you should not be the liable person; you should be awarded a discount that has previously been refused; you are aggrieved following the issue of a completion notice.

The Council has two months to consider your comments. If it rejects your arguments or fails to reply within the two month period, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal.

Any appeal to the Valuation Tribunal must be made within two months of receiving a reply from the Council or four months from the date of your original appeal.

Valuation Tribunal

2nd Floor, 120 Leman Street,
E1 8EU

Telephone: 0303 445 8100

Fax: 020 7481 4891