Apply for a caravan site licence

The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 requires private owners to obtain a licence from the Council to operate a permanent residential caravan site. For the purposes of the act a mobile home also comes within the definition of a caravan, and no site licence can be issued unless the site has planning permission.

Apply for, change or transfer a caravan or camping site licence

The licencing of sites within this area is carried out by the Private Sector Housing team. In issuing a licence the Council can attach conditions relating to the amenity of the site and the health and safety of residents.You should already have a site licence, use the above link to make sure the information is correct and up to date. Check that it corresponds with your planning permission. Licences are transferable so if the ownership changes you should advise us of the change, so that consent for transfer can be issued on receipt of your application.

Site licensing fees

Current site licence fees:



Annual fee

£7.77 per pitch

New site licence fee

£30.35 per pitch

Transfer or standard amendment fee


Site expansion fee

£237 plus £6.79 per additional pitch

Depositing site rules


View register of licensed caravan sites

Exemption from licensing are available for certain reasons such as:

  • caravan used for short periods
  • sites run by recognised caravan organisations
  • caravans occupied by agriculture or forestry workers, or travelling showmen

View our register of licensed caravan sites

Mobile Homes Act 2013

The CSCDA 1960 has been amended by Mobile Homes Act 2013 (MHA 2013) which introduced a new site licensing regime for relevant protected sites and gives better protection for residents.

The MHA 2013 allows the council to charge a fee to the site owner on an annual basis as well as for issuing and transferring a licence. The MHA 2013 allows a range of enforcement options in this situation including service of legal notices to require improvement.

Apart from removing the need to gain consent from the site owner to sell, the MHA 2013 also required the site owner to deposit a copy of the site rules with the Council. Site rules deal with issues relating to the day to day management of the site and will set by the site owner in consultation with the residents.