Published on Monday, 20th March 2017
Earlier this year, £30,000 was given to fund community based projects creating healthier communities in the borough.
The grant came from a jointly committed approach from Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council, Warwickshire County Council and Public Health. It will have a huge positive impact; helping to support local community groups and organisations who aim to tackle health inequalities, increasing physical activity and improving quality of life.
We had a significant number of applicants requesting £102,642.
The panel met and after careful consideration decided on funding 6 projects. The successful applicants are:
- Escape Arts- Who I am- a carer/ dementia interactive project
- Youth Athletics CIC- weekly athletics sessions at the Pingles Athletics Stadium aimed at young children ages 6-11.
- Bedworth Health Community Centre- providing a range of dance classes for children in 3 groups: 3-5 years, 6-8 years and 9-15 years
- Healthy Living Network- delivering a ‘Healthy Cook and Eat Café’ one day a week
- The Health Store- delivering services to support young people
- AYVA Arts and Yoga CIC- delivering yoga and mindfulness sessions to young people who are at risk of, or suffering from, mental health issues.
“We welcome the combined efforts of our Council and Public Health Warwickshire to address the wide ranging health inequalities that are apparent in our communities. We look forward to working with community organisations to deliver projects in their areas."
Cllr Barry Longden, Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council's portfolio holder for Health and Environment
"Working together is vital to building stronger and healthier communities. Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council and Warwickshire County Council share the same health and wellbeing outcomes for their communities ensuring that local needs are being met and health inequalities are reduced. The Healthier Communities Grant fund will allow us to work together to build capacity and empower the voluntary sector to deliver short term health improvement initiatives.”
Cllr Caborn Warwickshire County Council’s portfolio holder for Health
If you would like to know more about any of the above projects or would like to get involved please contact Michelle Clarke, Communities Team on (024) 7637 6420 who will be happy to advise you.
- More articles in the news archive