You are here:

Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)

Apply for a houses in multiple occupation licence

Any property, regardless of the number of storeys, that is let to five or more people, in two or more households, who also share some amenities such as bathroom and kitchen facilities, will require a houses in multiple occupation (HMO) licence from the local authority. 

Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council will be able to accept licence applications for both Nuneaton and Bedworth and North Warwickshire based properties.

If you have a property that you believe may require a licence, or require clarification on whether your property falls within the new licensing criteria, contact the Private Sector Housing Team.

Licensing a HMO

It is the landlord's responsibility - or their agents - to notify the Council and to apply for a licence which must be granted before they allow it to be occupied. Licenced HMOs are inspected on payment of an application fee, and have to reach a minimum standard to be granted the licence which lasts for five years - though it can be revoked if standards drop or the licence holder is prosecuted.  Routine re-inspections are conducted to maintain safety.

View the government guidance.

Last updated Thursday, 23rd March 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did