Reporting health and safety issues


If you are an employee, try and resolve workplace issues directly with your employer before contacting the council. You may also raise such issues with your safety representative if your workplace has a recognised trade union.

If employees (or employers) want to contact the council directly about a health and safety issue at work, please leave your contact details so that we can keep you updated on progress and get in touch with you for more information if necessary. We will not release your personal details without your permission.


Employers must report accidents, injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences to the Health and Safety Executive by making a RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations) report.

Advice is available to businesses, employees, members of the public on notification requirements and accident/ill-health prevention.

Accident notifications are received from local authority enforced (non-factory) businesses within the Borough and are recorded. Investigations to identify causes and prevent recurrence are carried out as appropriate.

What needs to be reported

  • Death or major injuries to an employee or self-employed person working on your premises
  • Death or hospitalisation of a member of the public
  • Disease suffered by an employee that is related to work activities
  • Dangerous occurrence that does not result in a reportable injury but which clearly could have done
  • VOer seven day injury (not counting the day on which it happened) to an employee or self-employed person working on your premises