You are here:

Housing benefits

Where to go for help and support

If you are struggling with benefits, budgeting, bills and debt then you can get help and support from one of our partners. Here is a list of local and national organisations that will be able to give you the information, advice and support that you may need.

Local Organisations provide information, advice and guidance and include:

CA: Help to Claim Service – Help to make an application for Universal Credit and to help and advise you up to your first payment. Tel: 0800 144 8 444 or go online at: 

Council Tax Support - If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to receive council tax support of up to 100% of your net council tax bill. You will be required to complete an application form and provide relevant information concerning your income and household, so that your entitlement can be assessed.

Apply for council tax support

 Discretionary Housing and Hardship Payments - Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) and Hardship Payments are paid at the council's discretion where it considers extra help with housing costs is needed. These payments are made from a limited budget allocated by the DWP. To apply for a DHP you will need to be in receipt of either Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of UC. To apply for a Hardship Payment (help towards council tax only) you will need to be in receipt of Council Tax Support. For more information and to make an application for a DHP go to 

Money management – request a Financial Inclusion Support Officer - If you have any concerns about managing your money or budgeting, then please contact one of the team today. The officer will walk you through every step and if you need additional help and support then you will be referred to the right specialist support organisations that can help you. Email the team or Telephone : 02476 376 700

Warwickshire Local Welfare Scheme – For emergency food referrals and supported food referrals Tel: 0800 408 1448 (freephone from landlines) or 01926 414124


ACAS – Acas gives employees and employers FREE, impartial advice on workplace rights, rules and best practice. For more details, advice and information visit


Free School Meals – Every Free School Meal awarded helps your child’s school get more funding. Your child doesn’t even have to have the meal! The funding is really important to the school as it can provide more activities for the children - and the funding continues for the school for 6 years! Apply online now……it makes sense! It’s quick and easy to apply online, visit


Benefits CalculatorsUs a FREE and independent Benefits Calculator to find out what benefits you could get, how to claim or to work out how your benefits will be affected if you start work. Go to


Nuneaton and Bedworth Citizens Advice - Benefits, consumer advice, debt, budgeting, energy saving, better deals, pensions, financial capability, life events and money matters toolkit Tel: 02476 494 393 email: or visit the website

Act on Energy- Energy bill or switching advice and financial assistance to repair or replace heating systems (home owners only) Tel: FREE 0800 988 2881 email: or visit the website


Severn Trent Water - Water Rates debt, Water Sure, Metering scheme, Water saving information, The Big Difference Tel: 0800 917 6901 or call 03456 022 777 for help paying your bill


Veterans Contact Point – Information, Advice and Guidance for serving or ex-service personnel. Tel: 02476 343793  email: or visit the website

Rethink - Employment support service specifically to support with mental health issues. Tel: 0300 5000 927 email: or visit the website

Coventry and Warwickshire Mind - Low level early support for over 16 year olds aiming to enhance mental health and wellbeing. For service delivery during Covid19 please visit the website: or follow @cwmind on facebook or twitter. For information and advice about where to get help, call the Mind Infoline on 0300 123 3393 or text 86463.


Dear Life – for people in Coventry and Warwickshire who are desperately seeking support, or anyone who is worried about a loved one or someone they know. As well as raising awareness around suicide, the website provides information and advice as well as the contact details for both local and national suicide prevention support   


P3 - Floating support for over 25’s to support them to stay in their home (eg if in rent arrears), street outreach work and accommodation to support rough sleepers with access to a mental health practitioner, drop in facilities in Nuneaton Tel: 0808 164 6220 or email: Due to Covid19 services are by appointment only.

Warwickshire CAVA Access to volunteering opportunities, support for local groups, organisations, enterprises and charities with governance, funding and to help strengthen local communities. To find out more contact WCAVA Tel:  01827 718080 email: or visit the website

Family Information Service – Offers free help and advice on all aspects of family life to parents, carers, young people, and anyone working with families in Warwickshire. Tel: 01926 742274 email:

Prospects for Young People – Independent career information, advice and guidance for all young people to help them look at their opportunities and options available. There are specific advisers available for young people aged 16-19 who are Not in Education, Employment or Training to enable them to find work, apprenticeships or enrol on a suitable course. Tel: 0800 731 3219  

Accelerate – Free employment support services that can build confidence, give training, improve skill and provide valuable work experience. Tel: 02476 633911 email: or visit

National Organisations that provide help and support either online 24/7, provide a face to face or phone service, include:

Learn My Way –Learn how to use the internet. Learn My Way has free courses to help you get online, learn digital skills and stay safe and connected. Visit

The Money Advice Service - Free and impartial money advice. Advice and guides to help improve finances, tools and calculators to help customers keep track and plan ahead. Tel: 0800 138 7777  visit where you can Web Chat  too

National DebtlineFREE, impartial and confidential expert debt advisers who are supportive and trained to a high standard. To talk customers through the debt advice options that are right for them. Tel: 0808 808 4000 or visit

StepchangeFree expert, tailored advice and practical solutions to problem debt. Benefit calculators and help to manage money better. Tel: 0800 138 111 or visit

Shelter - Homeless and housing advice, advice about Rent/mortgage arrears, housing benefit and UC issues, renting problems and legal clarification. Tel: 0808 800 4444 or visit: where you can Web Chat too

Universal Jobmatch - Search and apply for full or part-time jobs in the local area, Great Britain and abroad using the Universal Job match website

NHS Choices - For advice, support and to find services near to you. Visit: and Search ‘Mental health and Wellbeing’


A Directory of Mental Health Support in Warwickshire A comprehensive directory has been compiled by Warwickshire CAVA of all Mental Health Support available to residents across Warwickshire. To access the directory visit and search ‘directory of mental health support’ for details of all services in a document that you can download


The Big White Wall - Having a tough time or feeling down or stressed? Big White Wall is a safe online community of people who support and help each other by sharing experiences, guided by trained professionals. Visit


Mental Health Matters - For mental health, emotional support, visit , or call 0800 616 171- it’s available 24/7 or email:


Quit 4 Good Warwickshire - Stop Smoking Service. 2 types of service are provided to help and support people with stopping smoking: Face-to-face with a Stop Smoking Advisor in a local venue and an on-line stop smoking service. Visit for more details


Change, Grow, Live (CGL) – Free and confidential drug and alcohol service for adults, families, carers and affected others in Warwickshire. For drug or alcohol advice, support and treatment is available from CGL Warwickshire. Please Tel: 01926 353 513 or email: or refer yourself online at


GamCare – If gambling is a problem that is affecting you and others close to you, GamCare is a leading national provider of FREE information, advice and support for anyone affected by the problem gambling. Visit for more details and live chat, or call the helpline on 0808 8020 133 which is available 24/7

EQuIP Equality and Inclusion Partnership - Support discrimination on Age, Disability, Gender, Gender Reassignment, Marriage, Civil Partnerships, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sexual Orientation. Discrimination casework and supporting diverse communities. During Covid19 please call 07377 431997 or send a message from their online contact page

Age UK – Provide information, advice and guidance on all money, benefit and debt matters and enables independence for older people and helps to combat loneliness. Tel: 0800 055 6112 or visit


The Pension Service - The Pension Service helps with State Pension eligibility, claims and payments. Claims made online at or Tel: 0800 731 7898 for help to make a claim or advice.

Carers UK – For expert advice, information and support. Caring can be extremely complicated. The maze of rights and entitlements can be complicated. Filling in paperwork can be complicated. For expert telephone advice and support if people want to talk about caring. If you're looking for answers, the online information and support is the best place to start. Tel: 0808 808 7777 or visit

Last updated Thursday, 15th October 2020

Was this information useful?

You said, we did