How to apply for a disabled facilities grants

A disabled facilities grant (DFG) is a grant to help people with disabilities to adapt their homes to enable them to continue living there. This is a mandatory grant for works that have been recommended as essential and necessary by an Occupational Therapist of Warwickshire County Council.

How to apply

If you would like to make an enquiry, contact:

HEART, Town Hall, Coton Road, Nuneaton, CV11 5AA

We will be able to guide you through the assessment process and discuss any issues you have in relation to your housing, health and well-being needs and signpost you to the required services and any associated works.

Eligible works

The works provided through this grant can only be approved following an assessment and referral by an Occupational Therapist or Housing Assessment Officer. These works can then assist those with limiting disabilities to access their home and essential facilities within it such as bathing, toileting and cooking, and to make it safe. 

Types of works which can be recommended

  • A level access shower or wet room
  • A stair lift
  • An extension or conversion (for example, garage) to your property where there are no alternative means of providing access to essential facilities, particularly on the ground floor
  • Minor works - grab rails and handrails
  • Ramped access to the property
  • Widening of doorways

Who qualifies for the grant

Anyone can apply for this grant, whether they are a homeowner, private tenant, council tenant or housing association tenant. The applicant should contact the local authority for advice on how to apply for the disabled facilities grant. This includes those with caring responsibilities for a child or dependent who lives with them

The grant is subject to an assessment of the individual's health and welfare needs. It also involves a financial means test which is only applicable to those in the owner occupied, private rented and housing association sectors - not Council tenants. Most applicants with modest income and savings or on a means tested benefit like Guaranteed Pension Credit are required to make no contribution up to the grant maximum.

Children and young persons are exempt from the means test and in England the current maximum limit for the grant is £30,000.

The Council will determine whether the applicant is entitled to receive grant assistance, and will provide necessary technical and professional support to assist people to apply, and may refer or direct them to other services which could also assist in meeting their needs, such as equipment and care providers.

Applications have to be decided within six months, but are often much quicker once assessments and application paperwork are completed. We can even assist you getting quotes from reliable contractors and services from experienced architects.