Supplementary Planning Documents consultation - 14th October to 9th December 2019
Published on Wednesday, 16th October 2019
Following the adoption of the Borough Plan in June 2019, Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council is now consulting on a number of Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs).
SPDs provide more detailed advice and guidance in relation to certain planning policies. Once adopted, SPDs can be considered when assessing planning applications.
The following SPDs are currently subject to public consultation:
- Affordable Housing SPD - sets out when affordable housing should be provided and specifies preferable mixes of social/affordable and intermediate housing. Guidance is provided on the issue of viability and key design considerations. There is also additional guidance on section 106 arrangements, ongoing management/maintenance and occupancy.
- Air Quality SPD – sets out the types of developments that may give rise to air quality impacts and explains how development proposals should be categorised and assessed to determine air quality impacts. Guidance is also provided on the issue of appropriate mitigation, covering electric vehicle charging points, low emission vehicles, walking and cycling schemes/ infrastructure and public transport use/promotion.
- Concept Plan SPDs (for each of the strategic housing and employment sites allocated in the Borough Plan) – cover fundamental principles and requirements for each site to ensure co-ordinated delivery of the allocations and associated infrastructure, particularly for sites in multiple ownership. The Concept Plans are intended to inform detailed masterplans for submission at the planning application stage.
- Planning for a Healthier Area – Hot Food Takeaways SPD – sets out where restrictions will be applied such as within 400m of a principal access to a secondary school or sixth form, where takeaways comprise over 20% of uses within a centre, or if there is clustering of more than 2 adjoining takeaways.
- Sustainable Design and Construction SPD – sets out what developers should consider when designing and constructing residential and commercial developments. The document includes a checklist for developers to submit with their planning applications to demonstrate that the required elements have been considered.
The documents and supporting information can be found at www.nuneatonandbedworth.gov.uk/consult and hard copies of the documents are available for inspection at Nuneaton Town Hall and the Bedworth Area Office. A number of ‘drop in’ events are also scheduled across the Borough where residents can find out more information and speak to officers. Further information can be found at www.nuneatonandbedworth.gov.uk/consult.
Cllr Neil Phillips (Cabinet Member for Planning, Development and Health) said:
“These guidance documents will help us to deliver developments of high quality design and sustainability. Once adopted, the guidance will be used by developers when designing and delivering schemes. It will also be used by officers and councillors when deciding planning applications, so we’re keen to hear from residents to see what they think.”
Responses should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to Planning Policy, Town Hall, Coton Road, Nuneaton CV11 5AA by 9th December 2019.
- More articles in the news archive