You are here:

Latest news

First round success for NBBC in Future High Street bid

Published on Tuesday, 27th August 2019

Nuneaton town centre is set to benefit from up to £150,000 from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government’s Future High Streets Fund.

The cash will be used to help the Borough Council develop plans to renew and reshape the town in line with the national initiative and will align with the Transforming Nuneaton project, a partnership between Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council, Warwickshire County Council and the CWLEP.

NBBC is one of 50 local councils in the Government’s latest shortlist, all bidding for a slice of the new £1 billion Future High Streets Fund. The next step is for the shortlisted authorities to submit full business cases to the Fund, to secure further capital funding for individual projects.

Cllr Julie Jackson, Leader of the Borough Council said:

This is wonderful news! We put together a very strong case for investment in Nuneaton town centre and it’s good to see that our application has been successful. This is another exciting development for a town that has so much potential.

“Our Transforming Nuneaton programme is very well established, so for us it simply comes down to a matter of investment. We are absolutely delighted that our strong vision and commitment came through in our application and were recognised within the bidding process.

”I would like to acknowledge the hard work of those NBBC officers who put together this successful first-stage application, and also our partners who assisted – officers from Warwickshire County Council and the West Midlands Combined Authority were amongst those who helped us with the submission and I would like to thank everyone for their contributions so far.”

Cllr Izzi Seccombe, Leader of Warwickshire County Council said:

“Nuneaton has so much to offer and deserves to be amongst the shortlisted applicants - I am delighted with the news.

“We understand that the first round of the bidding process was highly-competitive and over-subscribed, so those submitting the bid are to be congratulated.

“I am pleased that the County Council was able to assist NBBC in the application - we’ll be supporting in every way possible in preparing the submission for the next stage and it all helps to maintain the momentum that we are steadily building for Transforming Nuneaton.”

The Borough Council awaits guidance on the details for the next steps of the process. We understand that fresh submissions for Fund will be invited in the new year, at which time NBBC will consider opportunities for Bedworth town centre.