You are here:

Council tax disability relief

Disability relief

A liable person for council tax may make a written application for disability relief where the dwelling concerned is the sole or main residence of at least one qualifying individual and in which there is provided at least one of the following facilities:

  • a room which is not a bathroom, kitchen or a lavatory and which is predominantly used by and required for meeting the needs of a qualifying individual, or
  • an additional bathroom or kitchen which is required to meet the needs of any qualifying individual, or
  • there is sufficient floor space to permit the use of a wheelchair indoors.

qualifying individual is defined as a person who is substantially and permanently disabled (whether by illness,injury, congenital deformity or otherwise)

How to apply

The form must be signed by a suitably qualified person and returned to us. We will then arrange a visit to your property to verify your application before writing to you to let you know the outcome. If you are successful, your council tax will be charged on the next lowest band below the one your property is placed in.

For example, if you live in a band C property, your council tax will be charged based on band B. Those people living in band A properties are still entitled to a reduction if they qualify.

Last updated Monday, 4th January 2016

Was this information useful?

You said, we did