You are here:

Council tax appeals

Liability appeals

You can appeal if you think your council tax is wrong.

  • You should however continue to pay your original bill whilst your appeal is pending

How to make an appeal

Your appeal should be made in writing to the Council stating who you are, where you live and details of what decision you are appealing against, for example, you should not be the liable person; you should be awarded a discount that has previously been refused; you are aggrieved following the issue of a completion notice etc.

The Council has two months to consider your comments. If it rejects your arguments or fails to reply within the two month period, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal.

Any appeal to the Valuation Tribunal must be made within two months of receiving a reply from the Council or four months from the date of your original appeal.

The correspondence address of the Valuation Tribunal is:

Valuation Tribunal
2nd Floor
120 Leman Street
E1 8EU
Telephone: 0303 445 8100
Fax: 020 7481 4891



Your appeal to the Valuation Tribunal should be made in writing, stating the decision you are appealing against and why. If you and all other parties agree, your case can be dealt with in writing.

If this is not satisfactory the Tribunal will contact you to make arrangements for a formal hearing and will provide you with information explaining the procedures in detail. A hearing usually lasts no longer than a few hours and will not cost you anything, unless you decide to employ another representative, for example a solicitor, to represent your case for you.

If the Tribunal decides in your favour, the Council will revise your bill and adjust any necessary payments or details.

If the Tribunal decides in the Councils favour, then payments should be made immediately to bring the account up to date.

Last updated Friday, 18th June 2021

Was this information useful?

You said, we did