You are here:

Right to buy


Owners of former Council homes should be aware that there may be restrictive covenants which are included in the transfer/sale of an ex-council property to safeguard the interests of surrounding Council properties.   

Before carrying out any alterations to a former Council property, the owner will need to apply in writing to the housing department.  Once the written consent of the Council is received, the alteration works can proceed. 

In addition to obtaining consent from the housing team, owners should also be aware that they may need to obtain the necessary planning permission and/or building regulations approval before the application can be considered. 

If the planned alteration is not covered by covenants, permission from the housing team will not be required.

Last updated Monday, 27th March 2017

Was this information useful?

You said, we did