You are here:

Organising a street party

Street party FAQs

Do we need insurance cover?

For small, residential street parties public liability insurance is not always required.  Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council  recommends you consider getting public liability to cover your event. 

We're serving alcoholic drinks - do we need an alcohol licence? 

No, licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you will need to contact: for a Temporary Events Notice.

We're playing music - do we need an entertainment licence?

No - if your street party is a private party for residents and the music is not advertised in advance to attract people, and you’re not making money then there is no need for a licence for your music, whether it’s live or recorded.

Do we need a permit to serve food?

No - as a private party, you do not need a licence under the Licensing Act 2003 to sell food (unless you wanted to only sell hot food and drink after 11pm). 

Do we need to clean up afterwards? 

Yes, you will need to clean up after your street party. It’s your street, your party, so keep your local area clean and tidy. Let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

Who has overall responsibility for the event?

In making and signing your request for the Road Closure Order that you have applied for, you are accepting full responsibility for the management of the event.  The Council accepts no responsibility for the erection of barriers or for the management of traffic.  You are advised to contact the Highways Authority at Warwickshire County Council for guidance.

You are also advised to contact the Emergency Services for guidance on appropriate access to and from the event during the road closure.

  • Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council accepts no liability or responsibility for any damages or claims arising from the making of this order other than any death or personal injury arising directly from the negligence of the Council

Last updated Monday, 20th February 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did