Cemeteries and crematorium
COVID-19 updates - cemeteries
Our cemeteries remain open to the public. However, funeral restrictions are in place and we ask that if visiting the cemeteries, you please adhere to the following guidance:
- Social distancing must be observed at all times; you should stay at least 2 metres away from other people at all times unless they are members of your own household. Full government guidelines on social distancing, self-isolation and hygiene, can be found here. Please read the guidelines before visiting the cemetery and wash your hands when you get home. Anyone who may fall into vulnerable groups or have underlying heath conditions are recommended to stay at home and keep safe.
- In order to protect staff, please do not approach or get close to any ground maintenance operatives or funeral directors in the cemetery.
- If a funeral is taking place (or a grave has been excavated) then you must stay away from that area.
- Please do not visit the cemetery if you are displaying any symptoms of Coronavirus (Covid-19) which include either:
- a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
- More advice can be found on the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/symptoms-and-what-to-do/
Full coffin burials and burials of cremated remains will take place, however as per Government guidelines there will be restrictions. The total number of mourners who can attend funerals is a mazimum of 30. This allows for:
- six mourners at the graveside
- twenty fours (max) further mourners at an appropriate distance at least 5 metres away, maintaining 2m social distancing or if this is not possible, 1+m social distancing if wearing a mask
We suggest these 30 mourners should be made up of the following:
- members of the person’s household
- close family members
- or if the above are unable to attend, close friends
Book of Remembrance (Oaston Road Cemetery)
The Book Room at Oaston Road Cemetery is currently closed due to difficulties with effective hygiene management. This means that the Book of Remembrance is unavailable to view at this time. We apologies for any inconvenience and distress this may cause.
From Monday 3rd August 2020, we will again be issuing permits for the erection of memorials.
Contacting the cemeteries office
If contacting the cemetery office and we are unable to answer, please leave a voicemail or send an email about your request and we will aim to respond as quickly as possible.
- Further information and application forms are available on our cemetery website pages.
Last updated Friday, 11th September 2020