Taxi (hackney carriage) and private hire licensing
Apply for a private hire vehicle licence
Private hire vehicles have to be licensed. They cannot be taken from ranks or hailed from the street, and journeys must be pre-booked. Vehicles must be tested and inspected before a licence can be issued to ensure that they are mechanically fit, safe and comfortable.
How to apply
- Complete the vehicle licence application form HERE which can be used for either a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence
- View further guidance HERE to find out about what we will expect when you present the vehicle for testing
The following evidence must be supplied at the time of your application;
- vehicle registration document
- MOT test certificate
- certificate of vehicle insurance
New applicants for a vehicle licence should also obtain an procedure pack from the Licensing Section in the Town Hall prior to purchasing a vehicle.
- Vehicle Licence Application £188
- Vehicle Test/ Full Re-test £92
- Total fee payable for annual licence application and test £280 effective from 3rd June
- Test Cancellation Fee * £30
- Replacement Plate £17.50
- Replacement Licence £17.00
* where less than 24 hours notice is received. The full fee will be charged if an appointment is not kept and no notice is received.
- Applications are only processed if the correct fee and documentation has been submitted
Last updated Friday, 9th December 2016