Taxi (hackney carriage) and private hire licensing
Apply for a taxi vehicle licence
The Council licences and inspects both taxis and private hire vehicles in the borough to ensure that they are safe for use by the public.
Applicants for new Taxi plates must obtain an offer of a plate (no fee is payable for this) before presenting a vehicle for licensing.
How to apply
- The vehicle licence application form found HERE can be used for either a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence
- In the case of a renewal, an application form must be submitted along with the fee before the existing licence expires
- View further guidance HERE to find out about what we will expect when you present the vehicle for testing
The following evidence must be supplied at the time of your application:
- vehicle registration document
- MOT test certificate
- certificate of vehicle insurance
New applicants for a vehicle licence should also obtain an procedure pack from the Licensing Section in the Town Hall prior to purchasing a vehicle.
- Vehicle Licence Application £188
- Vehicle Test/ Full Re-test £92
- Total fee payable for annual licence application including test £280 effective from 3rd June 2016
- Test Cancellation Fee* £30
- Replacement Plate £17.50
- Replacement Licence £17
* where less than 24 hours notice is received. The full fee will be charged if an appointment is not kept and no notice is received.
- Applications are only processed providing the correct fee and documents have been submitted
Last updated Tuesday, 15th May 2018