Taxi (hackney carriage) and private hire licensing
Apply for a private hire vehicle licence
Private hire vehicles have to be licensed. They cannot be taken from ranks or hailed from the street, and journeys must be pre-booked. Vehicles must be tested and inspected before a licence can be issued to ensure that they are mechanically fit, safe and comfortable.
The Council licences and inspects both taxis and private hire vehicles in the borough to ensure that they are safe for use by the public.
How to apply
- The vehicle licence application form can be used for either a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence
- In the case of a renewal, an application form must be submitted along with the fee before the existing licence expires.
- Please see compliance inspection form which details the criteria of the inspection.
- Vehicle applications are taken Monday, Wednesday and Thursday between 10:00 and 15:00.
The following evidence must be supplied at the time of your application:
- vehicle registration document
- MOT test certificate
- certificate of vehicle insurance
Applications for a new vehicle licence must refer to our Vehicle Licensing Policy prior to purchasing a vehicle.
- Vehicle Licence Application £188
- Vehicle Test/ Full Re-test £92
- Total fee payable for annual licence application including test £280
- Replacement Plate £25
- Replacement Licence £25
A £40 cancellation fee is payable for a no show or a cancellation with less than 48 hours notice.
- Applications are only processed providing the correct fee and documents have been submitted.
Last updated Thursday, 28th January 2021