Taxi (hackney carriage) and private hire licensing
Apply for a taxi and private hire driver licence
Application packs for driver licences should be obtained from the Customer Services reception desk at the Town Hall, Coton Road, Nuneaton or by contacting the Licensing Team (Contact information below). Applicants wishing to submit completed applications should also take these to the Customer Services reception desk at the Town Hall.
A licence is required before any person can drive a hackney carriage (taxi) or private hire vehicle. Licences are issued subject to proof of eligibility (age, driving licence, criminal records check, medical assessment, road knowledge etc.).
The council issues a joint licence to drive taxis and private hire vehicles and all of the forms and information you require are available HERE to download except the Disclosure and Barring Service application. Unfortunately, this is not available in electronic format and must be collected from the Town Hall.
How to apply
- The licence is usually valid for 3 years (although in certain circumstances a shorter period may be granted)
- An application form and original,supporting documents must be submitted in person at the Town Hall with the fee
- You will be subject to a check with the Disclosure and Barring Service for a disclosure report of convictions
- You will be required to undergo a medical examination with a Doctor of your choice
- New applicants must undertake and pass a road knowledge test.
- Prevention of child sexual exploitation (CSE) – since 8th September 2016 all new applicants are required to complete this course PRIOR to becoming licensed.
- Applicants for renewal should ensure that their application is lodged with the Council at least one month prior to the expiry of the existing licence
Fees & Charges 2017/18 effective from 4th July 2017
- Application for driver's licence (3 years) £339
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check + Admin Fee £56
- DVLA Licence Check £8
- Initial knowledge test £62
- Fee payable new application £465
- Fee payable renewal application £365
- Re-take of knowledge test £62
- Supplementary licence fee if necessary £25
- Replacement licence or badge £17
Applications are only accepted to be processed if the application form is completed in full and the correct fee and original documents have been submitted at the same time.
In order process your application, we need a number of documents as supporting evidence of your identity, as follows:
- Your current driving licence
- Your passport or birth certificate
- Proof of residency/entitlement to work in the UK
- One other form of ID which must show your current residential address (e.g. utility bill or bank statement dated within the last 3 months)
- Completed mandate to give us authority to check your DVLA licence
- See application form for further information
- Full details of acceptable identification documents are available on the Disclosure and Barring Service website
Last updated Friday, 22nd December 2017