Taxi (hackney carriage) and private hire licensing
Apply for a taxi vehicle licence
The Council licences and inspects both taxis and private hire vehicles in the borough to ensure that they are safe for use by the public.
How to apply
- Vehicle application forms can be requested by email from email@example.com
- include your full name and address
The following evidence must be supplied at the time of your application:
- vehicle registration document
- MOT test certificate
- certificate of vehicle insurance specific to the licence you are applying for
- The vehicle licence application form can be used for either a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle licence
- In the case of a renewal, an application form must be submitted along with the fee before the existing licence expires
- View the compliance inspection form which details the criteria of the inspection
Applications for a new vehicle licence must refer to our Vehicle Licensing Policy prior to purchasing a vehicle.
Total fee payable for annual licence application including test is £280.
- Vehicle Licence Application - £188
- Vehicle Test/ Full Re-test - £92
The following additional fees may apply:
- Replacement Plate - £25
- Replacement Licence - £25
- Test cancellation fee - £40 (payable for a no-show or a cancellation with less than 48 hours notice)
Applications are only processed if the correct fee and documents have been submitted.
Last updated Wednesday, 2nd August 2023