You are here:

Alcohol and entertainment licensing

Licences and licensable activities

We are responsible for the implementation of the Licensing Act 2003 in its area and this covers the licensing of:

  • retail sales of alcohol (and supply of alcohol in clubs)
  • regulated entertainment
  • provision of late night refreshment

The Licensing Act creates four different types of authorisations that cover all licensable activities.  To apply for (or to vary) one of these permissions or to find out further information view the relevant permission:

In addition to the application forms, please see the following:

Premises licences or club premises certificates are required for the following:

  • Pubs and nightclubs
  • Restaurants serving alcohol
  • Off licences
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Theatres and cinemas
  • Venues providing regulated entertainment – live and recorded music
  • Hotels, guest houses and other places serving alcohol
  • Private members' clubs and social clubs
  • Businesses offering hot food and drink between 11.00pm and 5.00am

A personal licence holder must authorise sales of alcohol, although this does not apply to the supply of alcohol by clubs to their members.

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is required if you wish to hold an event, involving less than 500 people, at which one or more licensable activities will take place that are not authorised by an existing premises licence or club premises certificate.

Last updated Friday, 18th August 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did