You are here:

Rate reliefs

Public House Discount

The scheme will be available to eligible occupied properties with a rateable value of less than £100,000. Under the scheme, eligible pubs will receive up to a £1,000 discount on their bill. The relief will apply for 2020/21 only and will cease on 31 March 2021

The majority of pubs are independently owned or managed and will not be part of chains. However, where pubs are part of a chain, relief will be available for each eligible property in the chain, subject to meeting State Aid requirements (see below). The Government's policy intention is that eligible pubs should:

  • be open to the general public
  • allow free entry other than when occasional entertainment is provided
  • allow drinking without requiring food to be consumed
  • permit drinks to be purchased at a bar

For these purposes, it will exclude:

  • restaurants
  • cafes
  • nightclubs
  • hotels
  • snack bars
  • guesthouses
  • boarding houses
  • sporting venues
  • music venues
  • festival sites
  • theatres
  • museums
  • exhibition halls
  • cinemas
  • concert halls
  • casinos

The Council will determine those cases where eligibility for the relief is unclear on a case by case basis. The Council may ask for further information to support an application.

If you think that your business qualifies, you should apply for Public House Discountby e-mail to, by letter or by telephone on 024 7637 6534. As well as confirming that your business meets the requirements of this scheme you also need to declare that you are not in receipt of State Aid beyond the limits set (see below).

State Aid

State Aid law is the means by which the European Union regulates state funded support to businesses. Providing discretionary relief to ratepayers is likely to amount to State Aid. However the Supporting Small Businesses relief scheme will be State Aid compliant where it is provided in accordance with the De Minimis Regulations (1407/2013)7.

The De Minimis Regulations allow a business to receive up to €200,000 of De Minimis aid in a rolling three year period (consisting of the current financial year and the two previous financial years) this includes all sources of state funding.

Recipients of SSB are required to inform the council if they are in receipt of any sum above the De Minimis aid limit. More information can be found on the Government’s State Aid web page.

Last updated Wednesday, 13th April 2022

Was this information useful?

You said, we did