How to vote
Voting by proxy
Voting by proxy means that you can appoint someone else to vote on your behalf. Proxy voting is convenient if you are unable to get to your polling station on election day. Your proxy can either vote by post or vote at a polling station.
To apply for a proxy vote, both you and your proxy must be individually registered and meet any of the following criteria:
- You are unable to go to the Polling Station for one particular election e.g. if you are away on holiday
- You have physical condition that means you cannot go to the Polling Station on election day
- Your employment means you cannot go to Polling Station on election day
- Your attendance on an education course means you cannot go to the Polling Station on election day
- You are a British citizen living overseas (Parliamentary and European Parliamentary only)
- You are a crown servant or a member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces
Your proxy must be able to vote in the type of election concerned. Your proxy may not vote for more than two people unless they are a close relative of you.
You can apply for a proxy vote for one election, a specific period or permanently.
The deadline for applications to vote by proxy is six working days before polling day.
Apply for a Proxy Vote
Returning your completed Proxy application form
Please return your form to the Electoral Services, Town Hall, Coton Road, Nuneaton, CV11 5AA
You will need to provide your signature and date of birth on your application. If you are unable to sign your form, please contact us.
You can either email a scanned image of the form or a clear photograph, showing the full page to: firstname.lastname@example.org or post to:Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council
Nuneaton CV11 5 AA
As proxy voting is not an on-demand service, you may have to get someone to support your application to confirm that your reason for applying to vote by proxy is valid. Please read the notes that accompany the application form carefully to find out if you need someone to support your application.
In certain circumstances, it is possible to apply for an emergency proxy up until 5pm on election day. Circumstances arising after the deadline for ordinary proxy applications for which emergency proxies can be granted include:
Send and email to email@example.com for more details.
Last updated Thursday, 2nd December 2021