You are here:

Public participation at meetings

Ask a question at meetings of Full Council

What is a question or statement?

  • A question shall comprise of a small paragraph of no more than three sentences, with the purpose of seeking information on a single matter.
  • A statement shall be an expression of opinion which does not seek nor require an answer or response.

How do I submit a public question or statement for a meeting of Full Council?

  • questions/statements should be submitted in writing or via email
  • received in advance by no later than noon the day before the meeting is scheduled to be held
  • you may only ask one question per meeting
  • you will only have three minutes in which to present your statement

Once received, your submission will be considered in light of the requirements below and you will receive confirmation that your submission has been accepted.  If there are any doubts regarding the validity of your submission an Officer of the Council will contact you either by email or telephone.

In order for your question/statement to be accepted as valid it must:

  •  be in relation to matters in respect of which the Council has powers or duties, or which affect the Borough, and in the case of an Extraordinary Meeting the question or statement must relate to the business of that meeting;
  •  not be defamatory, frivolous, or vexatious;
  •  not require or involve the disclosure of confidential or exempt information;
  •  not be substantially the same as a question or statement which has been put at a meeting of the Council in the past six months.

A period of 20 minutes is allocated for public questions or statements at each Ordinary and Extraordinary meeting of the Council. Once your submission is confirmed as valid it will be added to the list of questions, which is generated in the order they were received.  You may withdraw your question at any time prior to the meeting, and if you subsequently discover you are unable to attend the meeting, please contact Member Services as soon as possible.

Where to send your public question or statement

  • Email to
  • Writing to The Head of Paid Service, Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council, Town Hall, Coton Road, Nuneaton, Warwickshire CV11 5AA
  • You must include your name, address and also a contact telephone number or email

What happens at the meeting?  Find out more about attending the meeting. 

Last updated Friday, 12th June 2020

Was this information useful?

You said, we did