You are here:

Universal credit

How will I claim Universal Credit?

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) are responsible for administering Universal Credit. You need to complete this online form to claim Universal Credit.

Apply for universal credit

You will manage your account online and you will need to report any changes in circumstances through your account.

You must claim Universal Credit as soon as you think you may have an entitlement. Your claim will only be backdated in exceptional circumstances and will only go back one month.

Universal Credit (UC) replaces six existing benefits with a single monthly payment for people who are out of work or on a low income and making a new claim.

For further information about eligibility, contact the DWP’s Universal Credit Service Centre.

Last updated Wednesday, 25th October 2017

Was this information useful?

You said, we did