You are here:

Universal credit

What happens once I have made a claim?

The DWP Universal Credit Service Centre will phone you to arrange an interview at your local jobcentre to review your evidence and verify and approve your application with you.

Your application will be sent to a DWP Universal Credit Service Centre for processing and the DWP will then send you a Universal Credit decision letter.

How will Universal Credit be paid?

Universal Credit will be paid one month in arrears into a valid bank, building society, post office or credit union account.

Universal Credit housing element: how to pay your rent

If you are a Council, housing association, or private tenant and qualify for Universal Credit, the amount of money you receive monthly from the DWP will include a housing element, which must be used to pay your rent to your landlord.

This means, if you had your rent paid by housing benefit you will now need to pay your rent from the Universal Credit you receive.

You can ask the Universal Credit Service Centre to pay your rent direct to your rent account.  You can either contact the Universal Credit Service Centre on freephone number 0800 328 5644 or make a request on your online account.

If you are a council tenant and you require assistance with paying your rent, you should contact the Enforcement Team on 024 7637 6323, or email:

Housing association and private tenants should contact their landlord.

Last updated Tuesday, 5th December 2017

Was this information useful?

You said, we did