You are here:


Demolition of buildings

We provide demolition contractors with a set of requirements about their duty to protect the adjacent premises and to make sure the site is left in a safe condition with services removed and rubbish taken away.

What must I do if I want to demolish a building?

Before you demolish a building you must submit a notice to inform us of your intentions and give a copy to adjoining neighbours and gas and electric utilities.

Submit a demolition notice

No fee is payable.

When can I start demolition work?

Work must not start until you have submitted a demolition notice to us, and either:

  • received a letter of acceptance or a counter notice from us requiring certain work to be carried out as part of the demolition, or
  • not heard from us within 6 weeks of serving the demolition notice on us
  • wait for replies from anyone you have sent a copy of your notice to and ensure you have all other appropriate consents before starting


You do not need to submit a demolition notice for the following:

  • where you are complying with a demolition order made under the Housing Act 1957
  • for internal work in occupied buildings
  • small buildings with a volume of less than 1750 cubic feet
  • greenhouses, conservatories, sheds or prefabricated garages attached to a larger building, agricultural building

Our response to you

We can reply with a Counter Notice.

Remember to give a copy of this notice to:

  • the occupier of any adjacent building
  • gas utilities
  • electricity utilities 

What is a Counter Notice?

The counter notice allows us to specify work that you will have to carry out as part of the demolition.  It includes matters such as how you intend to:

  • shore up any adjacent building
  • weatherproof surfaces of adjacent buildings exposed by the demolition
  • dispose of materials
  • disconnect and seal sewers and drains
  • remove any sewers or drains
  • make good disturbed ground
  • make arrangements for the disconnection of services e.g. gas, electricity and water
  • safeguard the public and protect public amenities
  • leave the site clean and tidy

Also consider

Your proposals may also be affected by other legislation such as planning permission, The Party Wall Act etc. You should be particularly careful if the building is a listed building or in a designated conservation area.

Last updated Tuesday, 7th August 2018

Was this information useful?

You said, we did