You are here:

Do I need planning approval

Building an outbuilding on land around your house

You need to apply for planning permission to build an outbuilding around your house  in the following circumstances;

  • any part of the outbuilding would project beyond a wall that fronts a highway and is the principal front elevation of the original house
  • outbuilding would be more than single storey and the eaves would be more than 2.5 metres in height
  • overall height would be more than 4 metres with a dual pitched roof, or 3 metres for any other roof, unless the outbuilding is within 2 metres of the boundary, in which case the maximum height is 2.5 metres overall
  • structure would be, or would contain, a veranda, a balcony or raised platform
  • total footprint of the outbuilding would take up more than half of the area of the land around your house

Last updated Tuesday, 23rd May 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did