You are here:

Do I need planning approval

Building an extension to your house

You need to apply for planning permission to extend or add to your house in the following circumstances;

  • any part of the works are higher than the highest part of the roof of the existing house;
  • the height of the eaves of the extension would be higher than the eaves of the existing house;
  • any part of the extension would project beyond a wall that fronts a highway and is either the principal front or a side elevation of the original house;
  • any extension within 2 metres of a boundary would have an eaves height that exceeds 3 metres;
  • any single storey extension would project more than 4 metres from the original rear wall of a detached house, or more than 3 metres for any other type of house, or exceed 4 metres in height;
  • any extension with more than one storey would project more than 3 metres from the original rear wall of any house, or be within 7 metres of any boundary opposite the rear wall of the house;
  • any side extension would exceed 4 metres in height, have more than one storey, or be wider than half the width of the original house;
  • the size of all extensions and other buildings takes up more than 50% of the curtilage;
  • it would consist of or include the construction of a veranda, balcony or raised platform (above 300mm high)
  • you live in a Conservation Area and you wish to extend at the side of your house, or construct an extension with more than one storey;

Development is permitted subject to;

  • the use of matching external materials;
  • any upper floor windows being obscure glazed and non-opening (unless the opening parts of the window are more than 1.7 metres above floor level);
  • any extension with more than one storey having a roof pitch that, so far as practicable, matches the original house

Note:  The term highway includes public roads, footpaths, bridleways and byways.

Last updated Tuesday, 23rd May 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did