You are here:

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

How is Coronavirus (COVID-19) affecting our service

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and to help alleviate the spread of the disease, the Private Sector Housing Team are currently only able to carry out essential visits.

Essential visits are generally those where there is an emergency/imminent risk to the health & safety of the occupiers (e.g. dangerous electrics).

If there are disrepair issues in your home, your landlord has a legal responsibility to make repairs in a timely manner. They should not charge you for any costs associated with these repairs unless the disrepair was caused by you, your household, or your visitors.

Most landlords will make repairs when they’re made aware of an issue.  Before contacting the Council you should contact your landlord/letting agent in writing, setting out the issues in your house and the action you want your landlord to take.

You are legally entitled to know your landlord/ managing agent’s postal address, so this information should be provided in your tenancy agreement.

Writing to your landlord will protect you from a retaliatory (revenge) eviction if you have to involve the Council.

You can you use our sample disrepair letter to help you.

Dos and Don'ts

  • Do: notify your landlord as soon as you are aware of a problem
  • Do: give your landlord enough time to make repairs – for example, if your boiler is broken, they may need to order specialised parts to repair it
  • Do: grant access to your landlord and any tradespeople they employ in order to make repairs
  • Do: Complain to your landlord in writing if they do not make the necessary repairs
  • Don’t: Withhold your rent. This will not make your landlord do repairs, and may jeopardise your tenancy
  • Don’t: wait until after you’ve moved out to complain to us – this makes it extremely difficult for us to take action

Social tenants

If you are a RSL (social housing/housing association) tenant – before we can help you, you will need to make a formal complaint to your landlord. If this does not help, you should contact the Housing Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is able to resolve the vast majority of disputes but, if you still need our help after this, you can contact us as described above. Please make sure you have proof of your ombudsman complaint available.

Private tenants

When contacting us please make sure you have proof that you have written to your landlord/agent.  If you have already written to your landlord/agent and the matter still remains unresolved please contact us on the number and email below and we will investigate the matter, as soon as we are able to.

For further information on how our services are being delivered and and how we are enforcing standards in the private sector, see our Enforcement Policy. This now also includes an Addendum Enforcement Policy detailing our enforcement approaches during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) period.   

We are hoping to resume normal service as soon as we can and appreciate your patience and the efforts of everyone to contain the spread of this virus.

We partner with North Warwickshire Borough Council to deliver a joint Private Sector Housing Service and undertake the service on their behalf.

Last updated Thursday, 12th November 2020

Was this information useful?

You said, we did