You are here:

Your tenancy


If a sole tenant passes away, the partner or spouse can apply to succeed the tenancy, which means that the tenancy agreement will be placed in their name.

To apply for a succession of a tenancy, you must provide evidence that you have lived at the same property for the previous 12 months.

If you are to succeed a tenancy, the following conditions will apply:

  • You will need to sign an agreement, the tenancy will then be placed in your name and you will also be responsible for the rent charges on the account
  • If the tenant does not have a partner of spouse, then a family member who has lived at the property for a minimum of 12 months prior to the death of the tenant may be able to succeed to the tenancy (you will need to provide evidence of this)
  • If you have a joint tenancy, and one of the tenants passes away, the remaining tenant will automatically take over the full tenancy, and it will placed solely in their name. A copy of the death certificate must be submitted before the tenancy can be changed

Last updated Tuesday, 7th June 2016

Was this information useful?

You said, we did