You are here:

Bin repairs and replacements

Bin repairs and replacements FAQs

Why has the Council introduced charges? 

There is a significant cost involved in providing new bins and repairing damaged bins. In the past year the council spent over £100,000 on repairing and replacing new bins. Like many local authorities the council is under financial pressures as well as facing significant cost inflation, and has had to make difficult decisions to ensure we balance the budget. Under Section 46 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (as Amended) local authorities are permitted to charge households for the provision of waste receptacles. A number of other councils are already charging for new bins, replacement bins, and bin repairs. 

I already pay council tax, why do I have to pay for a new bin?

Although we collect council tax Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council keeps less than 12% of your council tax, this is then further split between a wide range of services. View more information about how your council tax is spent.

Council tax only covers the collection and disposal of your waste, not the provision of containers. Currently, the average household will pay approximately £2.50 a week for the collection of your bins, this represents very good value for money. This money does not stretch to cover the provision of containers.

If I pay for a new bin, will I own it?

No, the fee does not mean that you will own the bin. The bin remains the Council’s property at all times. Bins are provided for a property, not for an individual. The fee does not mean that you have bought a new bin from the Council, it is only covering the Council’s costs for providing the new bin. However, it will remain your responsibility to look after your bin. Bins are very durable and should last for a long time, normal use of a bin should not damage a bin. To avoid your bin being stolen or going missing the council recommends that you clearly mark the bin with your address and, if you wish, your phone number. Stick on numbers for your bin are widely available, or you could use spray paint.

My bin was broken by the bin truck, do I have to pay? 

No, if your bin is broken while it is being handled by our waste operatives or enters the back of a bin lorry we will replace or repair your bin free of charge. Our waste operatives will register within our system that your bin needs repairing or replacing and this will be completed free of charge. We will schedule to repair or replace your bin automatically. If there is a repair or replacement scheduled this will show on the form if you try to book one yourself.  

If I already pay for a green bin service, do I need to pay for a replacement bin?

Yes, the £40 payment for the green bin service only covers the costs for collection. We do not make any profits from the green bin service and the £40 does not cover the cost of providing the actual bin. If your green bin is damaged or needs replacing, you will need to pay to have it repaired or replaced.  

Providing new bins places a significant strain on the council’s finances. Like all local authorities the council has seen substantial reductions in funding, as well as facing significant cost inflation, and has had to make difficult decisions to ensure we balance the budget. 

Can I just use black bags instead?

No, you do need to present rubbish in a bin, as specified by the Council. As a short-term solution, you can use black bags, but these will not be routinely accepted. You should only use black bags temporarily if your bin is missing or so damaged that it cannot be presented for collection. 

If you continually use black bags to present rubbish the Council has the power to begin enforcement procedures against you for either fly-tipping or littering under Section 33 or Section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. Enforcement could result in an unlimited fine. 

My bin is only slightly damaged, does it need repairing?

A certain level of wear and tear is to be expected and we recognise this. Some slight damage may be insignificant and can be tolerated, so long as the bin remains safe operationally. If the damage on your bin is significant and makes it unsafe for our operatives it will need to be repaired or replaced. If we notice that your bin has become operationally unsafe we will place a sticker on it during collection informing you.

Can I buy a bin from elsewhere?

Bins must be compatible with the Council's vehicle lifting mechanism and meet our requirements for quality, size and colour. Poor quality bins or bins of a different design pose a serious safety risk so we will not empty bins which do not meet these requirements. 

You can buy a bin elsewhere however purchasing one of the same specification is likely to cost you more than ordering a replacement through the Council as we buy the bins in bulk.

Technical guidance is available.

Does this charge include communal bins?

The charge for communal bins will be the responsibility of the property owner. It may be a combined residential burden written into rent agreements. If you are unsure who is responsible for replacing bins, contact your landlord or property manager. You are free to pay for a bin for your property if you wish, but you may not need to.

I share my house, who is responsible for the bin?

The bin will normally be the responsibility of the homeowner, get in touch with your landlord or property manager to check who is responsible.

I cannot afford to pay for a new bin, what should I do?

It is important that you look after your bin, and we strongly suggest you mark it with your home address or house number. Bins should not break unless they are mistreated. The Council is not in a position to provide bins for free, due to financial pressures. Our fees only cover our costs, and it will only be a one-off cost.

Last updated Monday, 3rd April 2023

Was this information useful?

You said, we did