Parliamentary Election 2019
- The general election will take place on Thursday 12 December 2019
The Electoral Commission produces a guidance for potential candidates (which can be downloaded from their website together with a nomination pack.
Candidates will be able to hand deliver their nomination papers (for the Nuneaton Constituency) from:
- 11 November until 14 November 2019
- between 10.00am and 4.00pm
Nomination papers can only be hand delivered to the following location:
- Main reception at Town Hall, Coton Road, Nuneaton CV11 5AA.
Ask for a member of the electoral services team on arrival.
View the Electoral Commission guidance on who is permitted to hand deliver the nomination papers.
There are statutory deadline dates in the run up to an election, in particular to registering to vote and applying to vote by post or proxy, these can be found in the Electoral Commission timetable.
Eligible to vote
If you are registered and eligible to vote in this election, you will receive a poll card week commencing 11 November 2019.
Not eligible to vote
These are individuals who are entitled to be registered but would not be entitled to vote at the general election. For example:
- You can register to vote before the age of 18 (i.e. if you are a 16-17 year old). However you cannot vote until you are 18 or older on election day
- To vote at a UK general election you must satisfy the eligibility requirements (i.e. be a British, Irish or a national of a Commonwealth country)
- EU nationals cannot vote at a UK general election
- If you are not registered, you will not be able to vote - registering to vote is quick and easy online or paper application forms are available on request
Deadline to register to vote
The statutory deadline to vote is midnight on Tuesday, 26 November 2019. However we recommend you register well before this date to ensure you are registered in time for the election on Thursday, 12 December 2019.
Unable to vote in person at the polling station
You can apply to vote by post by completing a postal application form. However in order for your postal application to be processed you must be registered and confirmed under the new system of individual registration.
Completed postal vote application forms must be received by electoral services team by:
- the statutory deadline of Tuesday, 26 November 2019, 5.00pm
Ballot papers will be sent out in two mailings.
To ensure you receive your ballot paper in good time we recommend that you apply as soon as possible.
Postal vote application forms received
Estimated ballot paper mailing date
Until Tuesday, 12 November 2019
Thursday, 21 November 2019
Wednesday, 13 November to Tuesday, 26 November 2019 by 5.00pm
Friday, 29 November 2019
If you have appointed someone to vote on your behalf, they must meet the following criteria:
- Registered under the new registration system
- Eligible to vote in this particular type of poll
- Cannot act on behalf of more than two people at any one election, unless they are a close relative
Completed proxy vote application forms must be received by Electoral Services by;
- Wednesday, 4 December 2019, 5.00pm
Last updated Monday, 11th November 2019